We’re here to recap the Commanders first day of training camp. I can’t believe we’re already at training camp. It’s been crazy how fast spring and summer have gone. I hope you all are as excited as I am!
Day 1 Notes:
- The PUP list that was released yesterday had Chase Young, Logan Thomas, Chase Roullier, and Tyler Larsen. Cornelius Lucas is on the Active/Non-Football Injurt List. No surprises there, just hope to see these guys back healthy soon.
- With Chase Young out, James Smith-Williams will start opposite Montez Sweat. Smith-Williams along with Efe Obada, Shaka Toney, William Bradley-King have an opportunity to take a step forward and add needed depth at EDGE.
- New to the league this year are helmet shells. Players will be wearing them during training camp until the second preseason game.
- Terry McLaurin is back. I know you know that, but I’m just so excited and relieved that he’s back.
- Antonio Gibson worked on the side field today. Rivera stated it was due to “an abundance of caution.” Gibson was dealing with a hamstring during minicamp, hopefully he gets back into it soon.
- According to Matthew Paras, Curtis Samuel and Jahan Dotson are rotating in the slot receiver position depending on the formation. Ron loves versatility, seeing where all he can use Dotson.
- Speaking of Dotson and versatility, Dotson was fielding punts today. If he is productive in this role, he could save the team a roster spot instead of keeping one guy on the roster just for kickoff and punt returns.
- The players don’t have pads on. Take everything you hear and see from today with a grain of salt, whether it be good or bad.
Training Camp Day 1
Here’s some footage and observations from Day 1 from the local media:
Could Michel possibly be the surprise addition to the final 53? There is a lot of competition in the bottom portion of the receiving core so it will be interesting to see who makes their case.
So glad to see him back on the field.
I love Kelvin Harmon. Back in 2019, I thought he was a steal in the sixth round. He went on to have a decent rookie season but then dealt with injuries and unfortunately found himself off the team. Hope he can himself back on this roster this season.
Scary Terry is already at full throttle. Love to see it.
Also very, very nice to have J.D. back.
I don’t know where he lands on the team but he definitely landed on Zach Wilson’s S-List.
This may be true, but we still love Heinicke.
It would be huge for this defense if St. Juste had a breakout year this season. Would really help a position that is lacking in depth.
Keep in mind that they’re not in pads, but I’d this doesn’t get you excited, I don’t know what will.
Very confident that Bates will hold it down at tight end until Logan Thomas returns.
That wraps up the first day of Washington Commanders training camp. Stay tuned for more articles like this one after the team’s next practice.
Click on the story above for the latest news and analysis!
Also, be sure to check out our Shop for some cool merch!